What is a Bantu Knot Out?
The Bantu knot out is a very popular alternative hairstyle amongst natural hair beauties. Lets start from what a Bantu Knot is. Bantu knots are a protective hairstyle that look like mini twisted buns or donuts. A section of hair is twisted or braided and then wrapped around itself to form a bun. So Bantu knot outs come as a result of taking these buns out. What you get are coils or curly hair.
How to Do a Bantu Knot Out
- Wash and condition your hair (optional).
- Detangle hair using a brush or comb.
- For best results, make sure your hair is damp, not wet or dry.
- Take the first section and apply oil, cream, mousse or gel to it.
- Twist or braid then, twist and tightly wrap the hair around itself to form a bun. You can twist and wrap simultaneously (at the same time).
- If you feel your bun is not tight enough, secure it in place with a pin (bobby pin).
- Do this technique for all the hair
- Wrap the Bantu knots in a silk or satin headscarf to retain moisture as it drys.
- Remove the Bantu knots when you are certain your hair is dry.
- You now realize Bantu knot out hairstyle with popping coils or curls. You can separate the knots for a fluffier look (optional).