What are Marley twists?
Short Marley twists also called kinky twists, are two-strand twists achieved by using Marley hair extensions, which are textured and closely resemble natural Afro-textured hair. These twists were originally designed to look like dreadlocks and, hence the name Marley twists after the legendary reggae artist Bob Marley.
Short Marley twists are a great option for those looking for a more natural protective style with minimal maintenance.
If you are looking for the right hairstyle for office, work, and hanging out during summer, Short Marley Twists are indeed a fantastic choice! They offer a stylish, low-maintenance option to keep hair protected and look great during warmer months.
Here are some tips and ideas to rock Marley short braids this summer:
What to consider before installing Marley Twists
- Marley Hair: High-quality Marley hair extensions give a natural look and last longer. Synthetic Marley hair is commonly used, but you can also go for human hair extensions if you prefer a more authentic feel.
- Length: Shorter twists keep you cool and comfortable in the heat, easier to manage and style.
- Twist Size: Medium-sized or smaller twists will give a neater and more defined look. Smaller twists also tend to last longer, over 8 weeks and require less maintenance.
- Styling Options: Marley short twists provide versatile styling options. You can wear them in a bob style, shoulder-length, or even try different updos for special occasions. Experiment with different partings (middle part, side part, deep part), twists, or accessorize with colorful clips, beads, wraps, or headbands for added flair.
- Maintenance: To keep my Marley short twists fresh and clean, I cleanse my scalp with an essential oil (essential oils should be mixed with carrier oils before use). Clean and moisturize your braids with a lightweight oil to prevent dryness and frizz. They are low-maintenance and can be left in for several weeks, with proper care and maintenance.
- Protection: During the summer, it’s common to protect hair from sun exposure by wearing a wide-brimmed hat or a scarf to shield hair from UV rays. Short Marley twists help to shield natural hair from manipulation, breakage, and environmental factors.
- Swim Care: If you plan to swim while wearing Marley twists, it’s advisable to wear a swim cap to prevent frizz or secure twists in a bun to prevent tangling. In case you left your twists out, after swimming, rinse your twists with fresh water and apply oil to keep them hydrated.
How To Do Short Marley Twists
What You Need
- Marley hair extensions
- Rat-tailed comb
- Hair wax gel
- Hot water
- A pair of scissors
How To Do
Creating Marley twists involves sectioning the hair into small sections and then intertwining the Marley hair extensions with the natural hair from the roots up to the ends. Here is a simple step-by-step
- Divide your kinky locks into sections using the tail end of your comb. Clip up all the sections, leaving one section loose.
- Divide this section into sub-sections, depending on the size you are going for.
- Apply molding wax gel to the sub-sections to smooth down fly-away hairs and lock the braids into place
- Take a handful of Marley hair extensions. Fold it in half at the center.
- Place it between the sub-sections until it covers the roots. Merge each half of the extensions with each of the sub-sections.
- Twist the extensions clockwise with your natural hair to merge them further. Do the same with the other sub-sections as well.
- Now, twist both the sub-sections with each other in a counter-clockwise motion until you reach the very end.
- Use a pair of scissors to trim off the excess hair extensions at the end.
- Repeat steps 2 to 8 with all the sections of hair.
- Dip the ends of the twists in boiling hot water to seal the ends and use the towel to dab off excess water from your hair.
- Allow the ends to cool down before you touch them.
More Photos of Short Marley Braids
Enjoy your Marley short braids this summer and have fun experimenting with different styles! Let me know in the comments how it went.
Easy Way To a Short Passion Twist – Bob
Thank you for using the affiliate links and codes in this post, it helps me with a small compensation so I can provide more content.