Perm rod curls for short Afro hair are used by many for special occasions due to the elegant and defined curls they can achieve, however, some individuals also use perm rod sets as a regular styling option. Perm rod sets offer a versatile and low-maintenance way to enhance and manage natural curls or waves, making them suitable for everyday wear as well.
The decision to use perm rods for special occasions or on a regular basis often depends on personal preference, styling goals, and the level of maintenance one is comfortable with. Whether it’s for a special event or part of a regular hair care routine, perm rod sets can provide a polished and stylish look that complements different hair textures and types.
How to Do Perm Rod Curls for Short Afro Hair
A perm rod set on tapered afro hair involves using small, cylindrical rods to create defined curls or waves. The process typically includes:
- Preparation: Start with freshly washed and conditioned hair. Apply a leave-in conditioner or styling product to help with moisture and hold.
- Sectioning: Divide the hair into smaller sections to make the styling process more manageable.
- Rolling: Take a section of hair, apply a setting lotion or curl-enhancing product, and wrap the hair around the perm rod from the ends to the roots. Secure the rod in place. If you’ve got super short hair, you’ll be limited to the smallest size red perm rods.
- Repeat: Continue this process across all sections of your hair until each section is rolled onto a perm rod.
- Drying: Allow the hair to air dry or sit under a hooded dryer until completely dry. This can take several hours or overnight.
- Unrolling: Gently remove the perm rods, starting from the ends and working your way up, to reveal the defined curls or waves.
- Styling: Use your fingers or a wide-tooth comb to separate and fluff the curls for added volume and shape.
- Finishing: If desired, you can apply a lightweight oil or serum to add shine and reduce frizz.
A perm rod set can result in a beautiful, long-lasting curly or wavy hairstyle that enhances the natural texture of tapered afro hair. It’s important to handle the hair gently to maintain the curl pattern and avoid causing damage.
How to Maintain Perm Rod Curls for Short Afro Hair
Maintaining perm rod curls for short Afro hair involves care and attention to preserve the style and keep your curls looking their best. Here’s a guide.
- Nighttime Routine: To prevent frizz and maintain the curl pattern, consider using a silk or satin pillowcase or wrap your hair with a silk/satin scarf before sleeping.
- Refresh Curls: If your curls start to lose their definition, you can refresh them by lightly misting your hair with water mixed with a leave-in conditioner. Gently scrunch your hair to reshape the curls.
- Avoid Over-Manipulation: Try not to touch or handle your curls excessively throughout the day. Over-touching can disrupt the curl pattern and lead to frizz.
- Use a Satin Bonnet or Cap: If you’re not comfortable with wrapping your hair, a satin bonnet or cap can also help protect your curls while you sleep.
- Avoid Humidity: If you’re in a humid environment, using anti-humidity products can help prevent your curls from frizzing up.
- Trim Regularly: Keep your hair ends healthy by getting regular trims to prevent split ends, which can disrupt the overall appearance of your curls.
- Hands Off: Try to resist the urge to constantly run your fingers through your hair, as this can disturb the curls and create frizz.
- Professional Maintenance: If you’re new to maintaining perm rod curls, consider visiting a professional stylist who can provide guidance on the best products and techniques for your specific hair type.
By following these tips and establishing a consistent hair care routine, you can prolong the life of your perm rod curls and enjoy beautifully defined curls on your short hair.
Wash and Go With CutAfrik Afro Products
Crochet Tapered Curly Cut With Bangs
Thank you for using the affiliate links and codes in this post, it helps me with a small compensation so I can provide more content.
How To Taper Cut Afro Hair
Crochet Curly Tapered Cut With Highlights
How to Use a Sponge for TWA
Master the Art of Flat Twist Out Hairstyles – Visual
Transitioning to Natural Hair With a Low Cut
Crochet Tapered Cut – Low Cut
Flexi Rod Set Short Natural Hair Tutorial!
- Braids Bob
- Curly Kinky Bob
- Face Shapes and Hairstyles
- Facial Masks
- Faux Locs Bob
- Hair Care Tips
- Hair DIYS
- Hair Treatment
- Hair Trends
- Money Saving
- Natural hairstyles and care
- Short Hairstyles & Fashion
- Skin Care Oils
- Tapered Hair Cuts
- Twists Bob
- Weaves Wigs